Christian Science provides the tools and practical approach to discovering your true spiritual being. Based on the teachings of the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, Christian Science allows us to see ourselves as God created us, the perfect expression of His love.
A BRIEF HISTORY
After much prayer and study of the Bible, Mary Baker Eddy discovered what she considered to be the Science of the Christianity – the spiritual laws Jesus taught and lived. In 1875, she published Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. In 1879, she founded the Church of Christ, Scientist to reinstate primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing. Christian Science teaches that there is no challenge or human need in life that cannot be met through prayer and the understanding of God’s love.
The tenets (core beliefs) of Christian Science, as found in Science and Health on page 496:
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
For more information about Christian Science, click here.